Sunday 17 April 2011

Leaving Regina for Saskatoon then Edmonton tomorrow

Very good day in Regina!  Met with Mikayla of TransSask Support Services and a wonderful chance meeting with Wes from All Nations Hope AIDS Network.  It was a reminder of the many challenges we face in dealing with gender identity issues in our own country let alone in the refugee system. 



Wes & Mikayla

Wesley's generosity in our short encounter is summed up when he wrote in the NSTP Journal:

"What services are you looking for in helping out the 'new' GLBT arrivals?  Our agency would do anything to help out!"

How amazing is that?  I believe to my core that our community will raise the level of discussion, dialogue and direct action when it comes to helping GLBT refugees.


Thanks to Mikayla for joining me for lunch at Trifon's Pizza -- a blast from my youth in Brandon.  (I have "The Brute" just like 30 years ago).  Then she gave me a short walking tour of downtown Regina.

Now I am heading for the 5:30pm bus to Saskatoon for an evening with Saskatchewan gay icon Gens Hellquist who I haven't seen in many years.  The Tour is about meeting new people (Mikayla and Wes) and reconnecting with old activist friends like Gens.


Mikayla and David in Regina

 
Gay & Lesbian Community of Regina Centre

No comments:

Post a Comment