Monday 25 April 2011

The bus trip so far.....

The NSTP is just under 2 weeks old - and tonight I hop on the overnight bus to Thunder Bay which will be city #7 in province #4. 

I am finding a fair bit of success with wireless - but time is sometimes crunched to get the postings done so I am appreciating a "down" day here in Winnipeg before heading out tonight at 10pm.

Lots of new "road photos" posted and hopefully they will help capture sights from the road.  Go to Photos from the Road section to check them out!

Some fun factoids about the North Star Bus Travel:
  • Travelling on "Explorer Pass" which allows unlimited travel between April 16 and May 1
  • Cost (with Hostelling discount):  $268.80
  • No tickets required for any bus -- just walk up and show pass to driver
  • One exception -- a mystery to all -- a separate ticket was required from Regina to Saskatoon
  • Cost of ticket:  $42.42 
  • Wireless on bus from Regina to Saskatoon -- but the signal didn't work
  • Riding overnight buses saves on accommodation costs (3 night bus rides so far)
  • I always sit on left side of bus -- aisle seat if sharing.  (easier to cross my legs)
  • You can "reserve" a seat on Greyhound -- which I have not done yet although some clever ones book the 3 seater at the back so they can lie down
  • My ipod nano is a good friend
  • Had a limited playlist on the Western Canada swing -- but it included classic Johnny Cash at San Quentin and the famous heckler line he used when he said:  "I am sorry I couldn't hear you -- I was speaking"!
  • For those who don't know the lines to the Man in Black's San Quentin song, check it out under the "Quotes and Buzz" page!

The Red Deer Man


Vulcan, Alberta - how could I resist?

1 comment:

  1. Spetz!

    One famous quote comes to mind:
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world[and then blog about it]". -Ghandi [edit:AC]

    I got your letter - but don't worry, I've been following along intently the entire time! Actually, i tried to post a comment on your first blog posting but I failed...it was rejecting my anonymity! I am watching and learning how one man can make a change. And look at you face-blog-twitter-podding! Go Spetz Go! Quite inspiring.
    Also, I'm a big fan of hostelling - just watch out for those bedbugs!

    ReplyDelete