Thursday 28 July 2011

Toronto -- home of 3 amazing LGBTQ groups for queer refugees!

Heading to Toronto was going to be a homecoming of sorts for the North Star Triangle Tour.  There are a few people in Toronto who have given me so much support and encouragement throughout that I knew it would be an incredible second last city on the national tour.

And of course my dear and amazing friend Joan Anderson from Rainbow Railroad did not let me down. www.rainbowrailroad.ca/  Joan was one of the very first people I consulted in January of this year about the North Star Triangle Project.  We met at a Tim Horton's (in true Canadian spirit) and she gave me invaluable insight into the work.  She followed my progress over these past six months and was always keen to pitch in and help on anything.

She was joined by David Snoddy, a long time colleague in the struggle for equity and equality, in bringing the meeting together at the newly renovated (to me) 519 Church Street Community Centre.  It was a beautiful location where we were joined by 18 folks as well as two other incredible organizations which I have spoken about throughout the tour.

First there was Gilles Marchildon from the IRQR -- Iranian Refugee Queer Railroad -- http://www.irqr.net/ .  Gilles spoke about their work and I was thrilled he could bring a message from Arsham at IRQR who was away on emergency business.

Finally we were joined by Brian Brenie from the MCC -- the Metropolitan Community Church where the Rev. Brent Hawkes is the senior pastor.   Check out their amazing refugee work at:  http://www.mcctoronto.com/.  And now Brian is the full time coordinator of refugee programs.  Watch for amazing things to happen at the MCC!

There were so many others who spoke and shared their personal experiences as refugees currently in the process with the Immigration Refugee Board or working in the area of research.  This included Robert Lidstone who is doing his doctorate at the Centre for Refugee Studies at York University.  I appreciated their insight and participation which made the meeting even more meaningful. 

It was a very productive meeting and good to be in the heart of queer Toronto. 

PS:  There is always a PS!  Two of my dearest supports in Toronto also joined me on Tuesday night.  Their ongoing enthusiasm, confidence, feedback and all around "being there for me" attitude has been touching beyond belief.  Thanks for my bed in Toronto Glen -- and thanks for the true cheerleader (without the outfit) attitude Kerry!
 Most of the Toronto group - July 26, 2011

 Tonight.....at the 519!
 The incredible Joan Anderson

 Half of the meeting.......
 The other half of the meeting

 Gille Marchildon and Robert Lidstone

 My Toronto Support Group!
David Snoddy, Joan Anderson and Kerry Pond
(Glen Brown is shy and hiding!)


The 519 host!

No comments:

Post a Comment