Thursday 28 July 2011

Ottawa -- a "home" run!

How do you express gratitude to family, friends, activists and everyone who has come out to a North Star Triangle Meeting? 

Coming home to Ottawa I felt exhilarated and exhausted.  A 3 1/2 month tour across Canada primarily by bus, some train and few planes has not left me physically exhausted but so energized.  I must confess that my mental exhaustion was starting to take hold after 21 cities and 10 provinces in such a short time.  I had the occasional slip of the tongue as to what city or province I was in -- and in the last leg of the trip, I woke up on 2 different mornings having to think for a long minute:  "where am I?". 

I could not believe that 42 people (by my count) made their way to the Catholic Immigration Centre in downtown Ottawa last night for my last presentation.  It was incredible.   It was warm (literally and metaphorically); and it was energized.  I am so excited about the future of community mobilization around queer refugee issues in my city.  We will be able to join the work already underway for LGBTQ refugees and give further help I believe.

There is a fair bit more to say -- and I am going to be spending the coming weeks pondering those thoughts and coming back to everyone with them.

In terms of Ottawa -- I must say thanks to a few people.  My partner Michael has been incredible throughout.  Being away on the road at an important time of his life was a sacrifice for him and I am so thankful that he always insisted on the work carrying on.  My other "partner"  Michael (in community action) surprised me in the most touching way last night by bringing out of his purse a beautiful cake that he had decorated himself and a "21" candle on it.  Check it out below.  Michael Stephens is an incredible human being who has given me so much insight into how to make activism fun.  He was also an amazing sounding board back in the winter when we met at the famous Green Spot Restaurant in Montreal to talk it through.  Thanks to my Michaels….

Every stop required a volunteer photographer and an old friend, colleague and supporter Larry Hill was there for me (again) last night.  He along with 5 of my colleagues from the Ottawa Police made my homecoming that much more special.

Thanks to the Ottawa 42!  We have a great journey to continue...I hope you will stay on it!

Best,

David Pepper

 The Cake. It wouldn't be community development
if there wasn't a cake!

 The Ottawa Group

 The Ottawa Group (with Larry Hill IN the picture!)

 The meeting

 The meeting was.....full

 Chris Luesby in Ottawa asking a question

 We actually ran out of chairs....

 Lots of people

Great discussion and dialogue

 Michael (Mimi) Stephens and the cake


The clean up crew -- thanks everyone for pitching in!

1 comment:

  1. Well done NSTP!!! My congratulations!!! Now you can charge your batteries before starting an another chapter of the NSTP's story :)Hope that you shared this rainbow cake with others, didn't ya?

    ReplyDelete